This digital exhibit was researched and developed by Holocaust Center interns and staff in order to give broader context to Jakob’s Torah, a very special artifact in our archive that represents the little-known story of Jewish refugees to Shanghai during the Holocaust. Jakob’s Torah will be available to view in-person in our exhibit space at Chatham University’s Jennie King Mellon Library starting late Summer 2022. For updates on that exhibit, please visit this link on our website.
For press inquiries, please contact Dr. Lauren Bairnsfather, Director of the Holocaust Center of Pittsburgh, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Navigate to a certain panel:
- Panel 1: Mapping the Journey
- Panel 2: What is a Torah?
- Panel 3: German Beginnings
- Panel 4: Kristallnacht
- Panel 5: A Glimmer of Hope
- Panel 6: Immigration to Shanghai
- Panel 7: Life for Refugees in Shanghai
- Panel 8: After the War
- Panel 9: A Home for the Torah
- Panel 10: Coming to the Holocaust Center
- Kristallnacht 2021- Telling the story of Jakob’s Torah
- Additional Resources